Friday, April 19, 2013

Summer Movie Preview: The Month of May

SUMMER MOVIE PREVIEW: MAY
It's that time of year again, the time when I get all excited about the future of film. Unfortunately I'm usually disappointed by the end of the summer. But this year looks different! Starting May 3rd movies will really start to kick into high gear. These are the movie's I'm most looking forward to this in May, (in order of date, not anticipation):

May 3rd: Iron Man 3
I can't express how happy I am that Shane Black took over as director for Jon Faveau. Favear did a great job with Iron Man, but his genius ran out for the second one and relied completely on Downey Jr. for its quality. Iron Man 3 looks like it's taking the darker more intense side of the comic book movies, much like The Dark Knight did. I have set the bar high and it looks like it could stand up to the challenge. 

May 10th: The Great Gatsby
Could this be DiCaprio's first Oscar? It sure looks like he will be in the hunt this year. I'm predicting that Gatsby will be nominated for at least 10 Oscars this coming year, potentially 12. When I first watched the trailer I wasn't impressed at all. In fact I didn't even want to watch the movie. After watching the latest trailer in the iMax I'm so excited for it now! The Academy better not snub DiCaprio again!

May 17th: Star Trek Into Darkness
O MY GOODNESS!!!! This one has been at the top of my May list ever since The Hobbit showed me the 9 minute prologue. J.J. Abrams has taken Trek and made it cool again. No longer does Star Wars dominate the battle of space endeavors, (funny how he's directing both of them now). Into Darkness looks like the first one on Steroids! The 3D looks great, the story looks very compelling, and... BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH!!!!!!!!!!! You can't go wrong with the most popular actor alive! Cumberbatch is a perfect villain and will steal this movie away from Chris Pine. And I'm okay with that.

May 24th: Fast & Furious 6 
Okay, Fast 6 will be a great movie. It won't win any Oscars but it's going to be a great time. This is what summer movie's are all about, a ton of action and fast cars. I really enjoyed Fast 5 and I think Fast 6 will stay with the trend and keep me entertained. You can't go wrong with The Rock and Vin Diesel.

May 31st: Now You See Me
Prestige 2? Or will this movie play out like Oceans 11? I'm hoping it's the latter. The Prestige is my al-time favorite magician movie and I don't think Now You See Me can live up to that standard. However, I do think that it can be a great film if it tries to be more like Oceans 11. From the trailers I'm very confident that the movie won't disappoint, but you never know any more. Every director tries to be like Christopher Nolan and they all fail, so I'm just hoping that Now You See Me doesn't try the same trick and that they make a great film that is nothing like we've ever seen before. Jesse Eisenberg, Morgan Freeman, Mark Ruffalo, Michael Caine, Isla Fisher, and Woody Harrelson... Yeah, I'm excited! The only issue is the director, he hasn't proven himself yet and this could be his big break!

Thanks for reading. What movies are you most looking forward to in May, and what do you think of my picks? 

Thanks, Caleb Henry (TheCrackedNation)









No comments:

Post a Comment